Can you frequently recall your dreams? The mystery of dreaming is still plaguing scientists, but they have discovered that just about every person dreams each night, even when they can’t remember them. Check out these other cool discoveries made by researchers and shared by Live Science:
- Acting out your dreams can be a warning sign: It’s normal to have a nightmare every once in awhile. However, if you are kicking, screaming and thrashing around, you may have a rare sleep disorder, which also may be an early sign developing Parkinson’s and dementia later in life.
- People who stay up late have more nightmares: According to a study published in 2011, night owls are more likely to have bad dreams than early birds. The research team theorizes that night owls have more nightmares because they typically sleep later in the mornings during the time when the stress hormone cortisol is released or the y simply spend more time in REM sleep, when dreams occur.
- Dreams can help you solve puzzles: Harvard psychologist Deirdre Barrett found that the dreaming or REM stage of sleep makes it easier for us to solve puzzles we may struggle with during the day, encouraging us to think outside of the box.
- You can take control of your dreams: Lucid dreaming can allow you to create and control your very own virtual reality as you snooze. While frequently playing video games can help you strengthen this skill at night, scientists believe teaching war veterans with nightmares how to lucid dream can help relieve their post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Dreaming can ease your stress: As the brain decreases levels of the chemicals associated with stress during REM, or the dream phase of sleep, we feel more relaxed with the ability to face tough situations the next day as our feelings soften towards them overnight.
Enjoy the benefits of peaceful dreams tonight by following a soothing bedtime routine, letting go of stressful thoughts, and sleeping on a quality mattress in a bedroom that promotes shut-eye. Visit our Gallery Furniture Sleep Experts TODAY to find your perfect match for life-changing sleep TONIGHT!