An overhaul of one’s lifestyle to improve sleep quality can be difficult and time consuming—although worth it! But, today, we’ve got 10 tips that you can use when you need to get to sleep quickly!
1. Take a warm shower before bed: Your body’s temperature decreases naturally as you lie in bed and drift off to sleep. Taking a warm or hot shower prior to hitting the sack can help this natural process, and relax away the stresses of the day.
2. Get out of bed if you can’t sleep: If you’re having trouble falling asleep, laying in bed will likely lead to agitation and frustration. Instead, try getting out of bed and doing something relaxing, like reading a favorite book.
3. Turn off the TV: If you fall asleep with the television on, try turning it off. Ambient light can interfere with production of melatonin, a natural chemical that’s released in a dark environment, to help us doze off.
4. Make sure your bedroom is cool: An overly warm or cold room can keep you up at night. Harvard Medical School recommends your bedroom be between 60 and 75°F to encourage sleep.
5. Snack on a food with magnesium in it: Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant, which can help you sink into sleep after a long day at work. Foods high in magnesium include: sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews, and bananas, to name a few.
6. Enjoy a cup of chamomile tea: Chamomile tea has been proven to have anti-anxiety properties. If you can’t sleep, drink a small cup to put your mind at ease.
7. Listen to soothing music: Listening to soothing music at bedtime has been proven to increase quality and length of sleep in older people. It may be able to help you, as well!
8. Smell lavender: Lavender can help curb insomnia. There are many ways to enjoy it, but oil is recommended. Leaving candles burning while going to sleep is dangerous.