According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost 10%– or 31 million—people are affected by insomnia. Scientists are tirelessly researching cures for sleep disorders such as insomnia. And, there are drugs available to help one get some relief. In particular, Zolpidem (often sold as Ambien) is one of them. While one should always discuss whether or not a medication is a good fit for them with their doctor, here are a few side effects of Zolpidem you may not be aware of:
1. “Sleep-driving,” is listed by the FDA as a side effect of taking Ambien. This is when someone fully operates a motor vehicle, while still being unconscious that they are doing so. Upon waking up, the person may or may not remember doing so.
2. “Drugged feelings,” are commonly felt by those using Ambien, wherein one may feel dizzy, light-headed, or under the influence.
3. Amnesia is a frequently noted side effect of Ambien, which can occur in some cases, almost immediately after taking the drug.
4. Anxiety, or feelings of stress, worry, fear and uneasiness are feelings known to be associated with use of Ambien.
5. Severe allergic reactions including but not limited to vomiting, nausea, difficulty breathing are symptoms of an allergy to Ambien, and common.
6. Unusual thinking or behavior such as hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, or confusion have all been reported alongside Ambien use.